Who We Are
Our Mission is to offer hope to our multicultural community through relationship-based programs and services as a reflection of Christ’s love.
In 2000, Grand Rapids International Fellowship Church (GRIF) formulated a new vision and focus to purposefully establish ministries to reach across cultures. After an in-depth assessment of “Who are our neighbors?” Community Link, a separate 501c3 within the GRIF ministries was established.
Because many refugees have resettled around GRIF, and recognizing how critical English language skills are in ensuring a better life for our newest neighbors, a comprehensive ESL program was developed in partnership with Bethany Christian Services and Lutheran Social Services.
Community Link Partners – Bethany Christian Services partners with Community Link to ESL certified teachers four days a week at GRIF to prepare refugees for employment. In addition, we offer:
- YMCA “Sit and Be Fit” exercise classes
- Computer Lab for web-based English learning and Employment Skills
- Community Garden
- Joint Cultural Orientation for our newest arrivals. Topics include Parenting, Cleaning, Safety, Financial, Medical, and Housing
- Health Education and Nutrition classes
- Training students to become licensed child care providers
Wednesday Evening English Language Learners – A tutoring program focused on building relationships as well as teaching English. 6:30 -7:45 p.m. Transportation and childcare is provided.
- Over 20 volunteers minister to 40 – 50 students each week.
- A weekly skills and crafts class is offered for our refugee neighbors
- Baby showers for first time moms
- Field trips and other fun events
- Sharing meals and holiday celebrations
- Emergency transportation
To Become Involved
- Volunteer to tutor on Wednesday evenings – no experience necessary.
- Van drivers for Wednesday evenings.
- Volunteer classroom and computer lab aides for morning classes.
- Financial contributions for classroom supplies, field trips and other support needs.
Marsha DeHollander email@example.com (Daytime ESL)
Marsha Tester firstname.lastname@example.org (Wednesday Evening ESL)